Monday, May 13, 2013

Vanilla Protein Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting


Last week I posted a recipe for protein carrot cake and this week I've got a vanilla protein cake to share! With ingredients like coconut flour, protein powder, eggs, and coconut milk, this dessert is super decadent while being ultra healthy - so have your cake and eat it too!


Moist vanilla cake with creamy peanut butter frosting, silky raw chocolate sauce, chopped macadamia nuts and mini dark chocolate chips


Vanilla Protein Cake 
Gluten Free - Low Carb

This recipe makes 8 large muffin sized cakes or make lots of little cakes in mini muffin cups. Alternatively you can bake in an 8" greased cake pan. Top it however you like. I sliced the cakes in half and spread a layer of my favourite raw chocolate sauce, piped the peanut butter frosting, and drizzled lots more chocolate sauce on top.

1/2 cup coconut flour
6 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
4 tablespoons blanched almond flour
8 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 4 tablesooons coconut milk*
2 eggs**
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons melted coconut oil

*full fat/ at room temperature
**room temperature

Preheat an oven to 325F.
Whisk together all dry ingredients in a bowl.
In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients making sure all ingredients are room temperature to avoid the oil ceasing.
Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients.
Spoon the mixture into muffin cups, silicone cups, or greased ramekins/muffin tins.
Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Peanut Butter Frosting

1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon coconut nectar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
4 teaspoons melted coconut oil
1/8 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients together in a blender until smooth and creamy.
Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before frosting the cakes.

Did you catch my superfood cup recipe on Sweetly Raw?!

Part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays

14 comments:

  1. Babe, you had me at peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are so scrumptious. Yum!!

    Then I look over at your yoga pictures in the side bar and think, "My goodness, this women is magnificent." Look at you! You're so powerful. I'm a yoga buff myself, but don't come close to those poses.

    You go girl!!

    P.S. You're recipes are quite popular on our AFW blog hop. Another reader favorite this week. :-) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber! What kind of yoga do you do?! I just love it! xo

      Delete
    2. Hi Heather,

      Good ole' Hatha since the beginning. Perhaps the most important yoga I ever did was prenatal. It prepared me for both my deliveries! I felt fantastic during both pregnancies. It was beautiful. I also did bikram back about 10 years ago when it was getting popular and I was hearing a lot about it. It's not my favorite, but it was still fun. :-)

      Delete
  3. curious which protein powder you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a printer friendly button I'm missing for these delicious recipes?
    I'm trying this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no printer button. Just have to copy and paste and print.

      Delete
    2. Use the website....printfriendly.com......just copy and paste the web address you want to print...then remove the unwanted items....walla

      Delete
  5. do you know what I could do to make this vegan ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try using vegan protein powder and use flax eggs… not sure how it will turn out but you can experiment :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this amazing recipe! I used the batter to make cake donuts using a donut pan and they turned out great! They were so soft and moist for a protein cake. I really love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turning the cake into donuts is a great idea. I'll have to try that too! Glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  7. It is too simple!!! Today on my mother’s birthday, we made this cake. It was very delicious!!!! Everyone praised of this cake.
    Online Cake Delivery in Noida
    Online Cake Delivery in Delhi
    Online Cake Delivery in Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete