Monday, May 20, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust and Ceasar Salad


I've posted a few fun cauliflower recipes on this blog like my cauliflower "crab" cakes, chili cheese "fries", mint chip ice cream (yes for real), and creamy cauliflower soup. I have two more of them to share today. Both items on the plate in this picture contain cauliflower, but you wouldn't know it. I love that it disguises so well.... hehe, sneaky!


Yup the pizza crust is my with caufliflower and so is the caesar dressing! I've made a cauliflower crust before but it was way too soft and floppy. The secret is squeezing out the liquid from the cauliflower.


Cauliflower Pizza Crust

There are lots of cauli crusts floating around the web now. Here's my take on it!

1/2 medium head cauliflower
1/2 cup packed fresh grated parmesan cheese
1 large egg
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
Dried oregano/basil, to taste, optional

Chop the cauliflower into chunks. Grind down to little bits in a food processor.
Squeeze the water out of the riced cauliflower using a nut milk bag or cheesecloth. It should yield about 2 cups.
Transfer to a bowl and add all remaining ingredients. Stir well.
Press the mixture out thin on a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Bake at 400F for 12-15 minutes or until brown around the edges. Reduce the heat to 350F.
Spread tomato sauce, veggies, meat (I used cooked lamb sausage), and cheese on top.
Bake for 15- 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Smooth, creamy, garlicy caesar dressing!

Cauliflower Caesar Dressing

Feel free to make this as garlicy as you like! And of course a little extra parmesan on top when seving is essential. You can top the salad with gluten free croutons. I like to crunch raw crackers on top.

1 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower florets
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan, divided
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1-2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

Blend all ingredients, using only 1/4 cup of the parmesan.
Stir in the other 1/4 cup parmesan.

I topped the pizza with tomato sauce, zucchini, red pepper, lamb sausage, mushrooms, and cheese.

Shared at Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays

8 comments:

  1. Trust you to make me want pizza! Though you already did with your raw version last November :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful food once again. Do you think they would work without the parmesan cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No, the parmesan is important to help hold it together. YOu can try a vegan parmesan cheese and see if that works.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking I may have to try this with a flax egg (1Tbsp flax meal & 3Tbsp warm water) & some Daiya vegan cheese.. it's the yummiest & meltiest I've ever had! :) Thanks for the awesome recipe! I have had zero luck with whole wheat pizza crust makin' & this sounds like a fun alternative!

      Delete
    3. Great idea, that's a great option for vegans. let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, I made the moonie pie recipe yesterday for the first time since I downloaded the book. It was amazing !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay that's great Sherry, glad you enjoyed. Now Im craving a moonie pie! lol

      Delete
  4. Heather.....OMG!!!!!!!! we just made your pizza crust, we will never go back to traditional dough.....THANK YOU soo much for sharing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete