Sunday, February 23, 2014

Raw Salty Spicy Crackers


Last week I made a bunch of raw crackers in the dehydrator. It's something I hadn't done in ages and I was in need some some crunchy snacks. One batch featured almond pulp and lots of spices as the main ingredients (as seen in the photo). I didn't write the recipe down for those ones unfortunately… but I DID write the recipe for the flax crackers which were the better of the two anyway.
I made a tangy avocado dip to go with them. It was the perfect crunchy combination of flavours of garlic, tamari, lime, and cayenne paired with a tangy creamy dip. I didn't write down the dip recipe either but I can tell you that it was a mixture of avocado, zucchini, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, himalayan salt.


Salty Spicy Flax Crackers

The tamari and salt give a good saltiness and the cayenne provides the spice. Add more or less depending on your preferred level of spiciness. I like mind on the mild side!

1 1/3 cup whole flax seeds
2 cups water
1 cup ground flax
1/2 cup lime juice
6 tablespoons tamari
4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced*
1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt
Cayenne pepper, to taste

Soak the whole flax seeds in the water for 1-2 hours. Stir in the remaining ingredients and let the mixture sit for 15-20 minutes. Evenly spread the mixture on 2 paraflexx lined dehydrator trays. Score into cracker shapes. Dehydrate at 145F for 1 hour and then 115F for 26-30 hours, flipping the crackers after 7-8 hours. The crackers are finished when they're crunchy and dry. Store in a sealed container at room temperature.

*Mince it on a microplane


Here are a few other raw cracker recipes!




Sesame Nut Crackers (grain free)

10 comments:

  1. I hope the cookbook is going beautifully my dear! Think of you often. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear, its going great. I think of you often too!!!! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Heather! I can see this really well on my phone but on my laptop, it is way over on the left side and hard to read. Wanted you to know I shared this with the Clean Cleansers, it's perfect for the Cleanse!
    xxo miss you
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now that I entered a comment it looks fine! so odd. just wanted you to know. xo deb

      Delete
    2. Thanks Aunty Deb for sharing the recipe :))) Love you and miss you too! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Delicious Heather! If only my dehydrator hadn't bit it a few months ago :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabby! Oh no!!! What kind of dehydrator did you have?!

      Delete
  4. Again thanks for this best yoga blog. I will check it out from time to time. To check out some more helpful positions and routines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look AMAZING! There is a raw restaurant called 118 degrees near my yoga newport beach that I love to eat these at. But now that I know I can make them. Yummmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it'll be quite easy to do it in a sweet version :) Gonna Try, gonna try soon ! ;) Best wishes, vegan-muffin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete