Friday, November 2, 2012

Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake (Nut Free)


Are you tired of pumpkin yet? I'm not! Hehe! I've been playing and playing with pumpkin but I still enjoy each and every treat.


Last week I received three emails from different people asking for alternatives for the cashews in my pumpkin chocolate swirl cheesecake. Children must be becoming allergic to them or something? Two of the gals said their kids can't have them. So I decided to come up with a nut free pumpkin cheesecake! That's right, this entire cake is nut free - crust, filling, and topping.
I made this recipe and tweaked it three times just to get it right - or at least how I wanted it to be.


Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
Semi Raw, Nut Free

Note that you can use canned pumpkin (which is what I used) OR baked and pureed pumpkin however fresh pumpkin will be much more watery and the result will be a bit different. I always keep soaked, dehydrated buckwheat on hand for occasions like this - I recommend making a large batch. It's a great topping on its own for any dessert if you like an extra nut free crunch.

I made a few 4" cheesecakes and mini ones that I topped with coconut whipped cream (same one from my pumpkin pie cream squares).

Crust

3/4 cup soaked, dehydrated buckwheat
4 1/2 dates, pitted
6 tablespoons shredded coconut
3 tablespoons hemp seeds
1 1/2 tablespoon warm water
3 teaspoons melted coconut oil

Grind the buckwheat, dates, coconut, and hemp seeds in a food processor.
Add the warm water (to keep oil from ceasing) and coconut oil. Process briefly into a dough.
The dough should hold together when pressed in your hand. If not add a touch more water.
Press into the bottom of several mini cheesecake pans, or a larger pan (double the crust recipe if needed). Set aside.

Filling

1 1/3 cup cooked pumpkin puree (canned or baked/pureed)
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut sugar
4 tablespoons melted coconut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
10 tablespoons melted coconut oil

Blend all but the coconut oil in a high speed blender until smooth.
Add the coconut oil and blend briefly to incorporate.
Pour over the crust.
Chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours or in the freezer for less time.

White Chocolate Buckwheat Crunch Topping

1 tablespoon melted cacao butter
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon melted coconut butter
3 tablespoons dehydrated buckwheat
2 tablespoons shredded coconut

In a bowl stir together the cacao butter, oil, maple, and butter.
Add the buckwheat and coconut. Stir in.
Spread a thin layer on a parchment lined tray.
Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
Break up and spread over the top of the chilled cheesecake.

Try mini ones too using mini silicone muffin cups! 

I drizzled the this one with caramel sauce which does have nuts but that's optional.

It's the best topped with coconut whipped cream too! Mmmm, the perfect bite!

SaveSave

35 comments:

  1. The presentation alone is enough to make those treats amazing and tantalizing. And no, never tired of pumpkin - 'tis the season, after all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it's wonderful! So wonderful! Creamy and luscious... though I can't wait for you to post my most favourite, favourite recipe (so far) of yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that drizzle looks so sinful, I don't think you could stop me from eating it with a spoon! So cool that this is nut free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I could eat the filling with a spoon too Gabby! It was hard working making it three times to get it right ;)

      Delete
  4. Hi Heather! I came across your wonderful blog via Twitter :) I adore vegan cheesecake and your pumpkin version looks amazing! I'd love to have a try at making it. Unfortunately I haven't got a dehydrator so could you possibly suggest an alternative for the dehydrated buckwheat? Could I perhaps toast it or cook it in the oven? Many thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! You can just use chopped nuts in place of the buckwheat if you eat nuts, or use seeds like hemp - the flavor will change a bit of course.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous!! I've been set on making your Pumpkin Pie Cream Squares for Thanksgiving ever since I saw them but this is giving them a run for their money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well I think you should make both of them! lol :D

      Delete
  6. Oh my. Unbelievably amazing. Whenever I see a 'nut-free' vegan cheesecake, I assume it contains tofu. Thanks for taking this time to tweak this so it can be enjoyed by all. And your photos btw are so amazing they are virtually edible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mary! Yeah, Im not into tofu so you won't see that on my blog lol.

      Delete
  7. I need some of this in my life Heather :)! Your pumpkin cheesecakes are so beautiful, and I love that topping! Something creamy is always better with something crunchy ;)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! Agreed- gotta balance those textures!!! ;)

      Delete
  8. Oh, my goodness. I hope this recipe is as good as it looks, because your pictures are amazing! I'm new to your site, and I can't wait to explore. If you haven’t already, I'd love for you to visit my Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and link up this and any other GF idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! I can assure you this recipe is sooo yummy. I made it three times and will make it many more ;)

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the buckwheat crust, it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes its a nice alternative to a nut crust.

      Delete
  10. This looks delish! Thank you so much for incorporating a NUT FREE recipe to the mix. Much appreciated Heather!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Tera... really wanted to accommodate the people who needed something nut free. Fun challenge for me! :) I hope you enjoy. I love this cake and will make it again and again.

      Delete
  11. Oh WOW -- a nut free, vegan pumpkin cheesecake?!! I've had been missing cheesecake, as most vegan versions contain nuts. Not only do your pictures look absolutely delicious, but the recipe sounds amazing. Thanks so much for sharing. I look forward to trying it out as my next pumpkin dessert -- YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. When you make it I'll feature your photo/link if you want to send one. I've made it three time and will make it many more :)

      Delete
  12. I cannot wait to make this for Thanksgiving! Oh, my.

    Just to clarify, the larger cheesecake pictured is a mini, correct? I have mini springform pans, but will this recipe make too thin a cheesecake if I use a full-size springform pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a 4" and the recipe will give you 2, 4" cheesecakes (not full to the top). YOu can triple or more for a big cake. I hope you enjoy! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Okay, one more question--sorry to bother you!

      I've bought buckwheat flour before, but not buckwheat. Is this the same as "Buckwheat Groats"?

      Delete
    3. No worries ;) Yes buckwheat groats is what you want. Then you soak them for about 4 hours and rinse very very well (until water runs clear), drain water and dehydrate for about 8 hours at 115F or until dry and crunchy.

      Delete
  13. Thank you! I saw this post just in time: I had missed the "dehydrated" part before, or didn't think through it. I didn't have a dehydrator! In a frenzy, I called all over town looking for one (I'll use it anyway,) and by the time I found it I would have considered trading one of my children for it. :)

    So, my buckwheat groats are soaking as we speak, the dehydrator is ready and waiting, and Thanksgiving is saved. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was quite the effort! lol, but glad you have the dehydrator and buckwheat. You could have used chopped nuts in its place if you can eat them... but you have it sorted now :) I hope you enjoy the cake. Happy THanksgiving!

      Delete
  14. OMG I love you no nuts YES!
    A million Thank you
    Rhonda D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're welcome I hope you enjoy as much as I did.... I've made this 3 or 4 times :)

      Delete
  15. So how do I get the recipes to the raw ice cream cake and the cake pops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cake pop recipe here: http://www.sweetlyraw.com/2012/11/raw-chocolate-dream-ebook.html and ice cream cake recipes here: http://www.sweetlyraw.com/2010/04/ultimate-raw-ice-cream-cake-ebook.html

      Delete
  16. Great information you are sharing,I wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

    benefits of yoga

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this perfect article. Minimum time is required, It is too easy!!!!!!!
    Awesome Birthday Cakes
    Beautiful Anniversary Cakes

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so yummy! I NEED to try this since fall is right around the corner (I guess it is technically fall now!) :)

    ReplyDelete