Monday, March 11, 2013

Mysterious Mint Ice Cream


With St. Patty's day around the corner, a green dessert is only fitting. The other day I made some delicious vegan mint chip ice cream that contains two secret ingredients... any guesses? I posted the above pic on facebook and twitter for people to guess and win a copy of one of my dessert ebooks. Lots of great answers but no one guessed right.

I'll give you a 2 hints: It's NOT what you're probably guessing - the typical avocado based cream, nor is it spinach or spirulina that gives the green color.


This ice cream is a bit on the crazy side because it's low sugar free and packed with vegetables! As I said in my latest post featuring sugar free coconut butter treats, I've been laying low with sweets these days in favor of higher protein and fat foods - and lots of veggies. I love faux mashed potatoes - pureed cooked cauliflower, a spoonful of cream cheese or coconut oil, salt and pepper. And I adore a puree of cauliflower and broccoli together too. So creamy and delicious. I got to thinking that this would make a great base for pudding or ice cream - afterall they have a neutral flavor once cooked.

So, yes, this mint ice cream is made with broccoli and cauliflower! It is rich and creamy without any nuts, it's full of fiber, and low in sugar because I only used stevia to sweeten the first batch. I added a bit of coconut nectar to the second batch so you have a choice.


Mint Chip Ice Cream

It's crazy to think about the quantity of veggies in this ice cream - and because it's pureed, the amount is even more concentrated. Note - if you like really sweet things, you may want to add some extra coconut nectar and try using actual dark chocolate chips instead of the nibs which are bitter. Out of the 3 people I served this to, one thought it needed actual chocolate chips, one thought it was ok, and the other thought it was terrible, lol. BUT because I've been eating such low sugar treats lately, it tastes sweet to me.

1 1/2 cups coconut milk (full fat)
1 cup + 4 tablespoons broccoli or cauliflower puree*
20 drops stevia OR 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut nectar + 10 drops stevia
10 drops peppermint essential oil**
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons melted coconut butter
1/4 cup cacao nibs or mini dark chocolate chips

Blend all but the coconut butter and cacao nibs in a blender until smooth.
Add the butter and blend to incorporate.
Chill in the fridge until cold.
Process in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers instructions. Add nibs near the end of churning.
Return to the freezer briefly before eating.

*Steam or boil broccoli and cauliflower until soft. Drain. Puree until smooth in food processor or blender. Make lots and eat the remaining puree!

**Use a quality one. I used Young Living and only needed 10 drops.

For other green desserts check out:





Part of Wellness Weekend
SaveSave

17 comments:

  1. Whoa, love the mystery ingredients in the ice cream - so intriguing!!! All the desserts look fabulous, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done MANY things with cauliflower: mashed, riced, pizza crust . . . . But never as ice cream?!? Wow--who knew? And it tastes good? Crazy! Thanks for sharing!
    -Michelle @ EMB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!!! Just curious, about how much ice cream does this make? Hoping to make it for a special dessert to sere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm i cant remember the exact amount but enough to get the proper amount into my cuisinart ice cream maker. About 8 servings.

      Delete
  4. A very interesting concept and will for sure try.

    But since you mentioned using "Young Living" essential oils, I thought you (and anyone else) might find this not only interesting, but extremely helpful. Adrienne, over at Whole New Mom, thoroughly researched for close to a year (from Mar. 2012 - Jan. 2013), and revealed her findings over a seven-part series: Which Essential Oil Companies Are Best? Adrienne is definitely someone you can trust. And not only is the process through which she came to her conclusion interesting, but so is the experience she had with a particular person affiliated with Young Living. A link to each part of the series is found at the end of each post (the link to part one is below).

    http://wholenewmom.com/health-concerns/natural-remedies/the-great-essential-oils-showdown-in-search-of-the-best-essential-oils/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Correction. The seven-part series is called: Which Essential Oils Company is Best? (not companies).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you creative lady you! I was going to guess zucchini, because I've often made smoothies with zucchini, but broccoli is far more ingenius.

    P.S. OMG you're in my homeland!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow crazy ingredients indeed! I love that because variety is the spice of life right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is probably the most surprising ingredient I've ever seen! Definitely making this! It's been a VERY long time since I've had any sort of ice cream. Would it be fine to use all broccoli, or does half of it *need* to be cauliflower? I don't have an ice cream machine, but maybe if I froze the mixture and then put it in the food processor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you can try with all broccoli! :) Sure you can freeze and then food processor. Let me know how it is with all broccoli.

      Delete
  9. This looks so good. I'm always looking for healthy ways to make ice cream.
    http://yourhappyhealthblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never would have guessed there was broccoli and cauliflower in there. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you use all of the coconut milk or just the cream on top?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I am in love with your blog! Thanks for these delicious recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one delicious recipe. I used a can of Native Forest org coconut milk (https://www.vitacost.com/native-forest-organic-unsweetened-coconut-milk-simple), all pureed steamed broccoli, 2 1/2 tbls spreadable honey + 13 stevia drops, 13 drops Mountain Rose Herb peppermint essential oil, homemade vanilla, Artisana org coconut butter (https://www.vitacost.com/artisana-organics-raw-coconut-butter) that is liquid without having to melt (I live in South FL), and org mini chocolate chips (https://nuts.com/cookingbaking/cocoa-powders-baking-chocolate/mini-dark-chocolate-chips.html). I buzzed in my Vitamix then chilled overnight in the fridge. It was very thick. There was barely enough to churn in my Cuisinart ice cream maker so, next time, I'll make 1 1/2-2 recipes. This made only one pint.

    All this to say that this is a winner of a recipe: Smooth. Creamy. Sweet without being too sweet. Cold. Filling. Tasty. I couldn't taste broccoli.

    Heather, you come up with the most amazingly creative recipes. Thxx very much for another!!

    ReplyDelete